Association and group purchases paid out

Dennis Powless claven123 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 11:19:08 EDT 2011

I'm the treasurer of my FD association.  I have converted it all to
gnucash.

We buy t-shirts from a company (that we each order and pay for) however, the
FD will pay one check to the company that makes the t-shirts.  Then each
member will then pay the association back for the amount of their personal
order.

I need to track this in Gnucash.

I get checks that are Expenses:T-shirt Order Date 1 3 2011 for smaller
amounts   say 50.00 or 25.67 etc...

There was one check written for 705.00 to the company XYZ.  I made this an
expense:T-shirt Order Date 1 3 2011   (We do this several times a year, so I
assign a date)

I want to be able to track how much has been paid and what is still
outstanding (I know the person who coordinates this keeps track too)

Should I make this a Liabitlity account?  Since it kinda a loan?  How should
I handle this?

Or... should I set up the whole thing as a business account?  We only write
out checks for general stuff ie Flowers, food, misc expenses and a local
store account for food.

Dennis