Association and group purchases paid out

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat May 7 16:39:32 EDT 2011

Dennis Powless wrote:

       There is no way to get around it. Just because using gnucash to
keep the books doesn't mean that you don't need to understand the
fundamentals of bookkeeping.

        The purchase of the shirts from XYZ Company is not an "expense"
for your organization. If in the end your organization makes a profit
(takes in more money for the t-shirts) then that's "income" and if in
the end takes a loss that will be an expense.

        Your purchase transaction should debit an ASSET account "T-shirt
inventory" and credit your checking account (if you have other things
you buy as a group then have a parent account "inventory".

         Each time somebody buys one of these T-shirts you debit cash
(checking if that's where their check gets deposited, possibly
temporarily in "undeposited funds") and credit the inventory. If you
were selling each for more than your average cost then each time one was
bought would be a split transaction also crediting "sales" which would
be an income account. When all the T-shirts are gone the "T-shirt
inventory" account should be zero.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

>I'm the treasurer of my FD association.  I have converted it all to
>gnucash.
>
>We buy t-shirts from a company (that we each order and pay for) however, the
>FD will pay one check to the company that makes the t-shirts.  Then each
>member will then pay the association back for the amount of their personal
>order.
>
>I need to track this in Gnucash.
>
>I get checks that are Expenses:T-shirt Order Date 1 3 2011 for smaller
>amounts   say 50.00 or 25.67 etc...
>
>There was one check written for 705.00 to the company XYZ.  I made this an
>expense:T-shirt Order Date 1 3 2011   (We do this several times a year, so I
>assign a date)
>
>I want to be able to track how much has been paid and what is still
>outstanding (I know the person who coordinates this keeps track too)
>

>Should I make this a Liabitlity account?  Since it kinda a loan?  How should
>I handle this?
>

>Or... should I set up the whole thing as a business account?  We only write
>out checks for general stuff ie Flowers, food, misc expenses and a local
>store account for food.
>

>Dennis

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.