Generating a unique transaction number

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon May 9 09:01:45 EDT 2011

foxylady337 wrote:

>Good to know I'm not unique!
>
>Seriously, though, if there's no intrinsic support for a transaction number
>within GNUCash, how do other users manage to organise and file all the
>unnumbered vouchers that comprise the vast bulk of day-to-day activity in my
>domestic accounts?

Take another look at the assumption "there's no intrinsic support for a
transaction number". What do you MEAN by that?

If you meant "there is no identifier I could assign to the voucher or
receipt that would uniquely associate it to a transaction" then clearly
not so since I can easily give an example of an identifier that would work.

Define identifier as the concatenation of account name (number if you
like; assigning numbers to accounts IS supported), the Julian date, and
then order of transactions on that date. Order as alphameric, not
numeric (if you want numeric ordering then you'll want the number of
transactions on that date to all have the same number of digits).

Michael D Novack, FLMI

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.