Generating a unique transaction number

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:22:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 09:01 -0400, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> foxylady337 wrote:
>
> >Good to know I'm not unique!
> >
> >Seriously, though, if there's no intrinsic support for a transaction number
> >within GNUCash, how do other users manage to organise and file all the
> >unnumbered vouchers that comprise the vast bulk of day-to-day activity in my
> >domestic accounts?
> >

> Take another look at the assumption "there's no intrinsic support for a
> transaction number". What do you MEAN by that?

What I mean is that there isn't a unique serial number created for each
transaction as it is entered in GNUCash - at least, there isn't one
which is accessible to the user.

I've become used to having this feature in TAS Books, which I've been
using for many years - I've moved to Ubuntu from Windows, hence my
change to GC.

I can obviously pull out my last batch of vouchers, and add one to the
transaction number for my next batch, but it would be so much easier if
I could just click the "+" key in (let's say) the memo field and have a
number entered which is one greater than the number in any other memo
field.