GnuCash Tutorial and Help Manuals

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 12 18:42:45 EDT 2011

On 5/12/2011 12:05 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> [Note: please keep replies on-list. You can do so by using the "reply all" or
> "reply to list" functionality of your mail client]
>
> On donderdag 12 mei 2011, Cale Benton Yates III wrote:
>> My apologies. I should have been more specific.
>>
>> I, like you, have no problem downloading the nightly builds of the
>> GnuCash Tutorial and Help manuals. Where I have difficulty is in the
>> GnuCash v2.4 (current stable release) section of the GnuCash
>> Documentation Project webpage. When I click on either the English Pdf
>> link of the Help Manual or the English Pdf link of the Concepts Guide,
>> neither document appears on the browser screen to be downloaded.
>>
>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help.pdf appears in the URL
>> box of my Firefox 4.01 browser when I try to download the GnuCash Help
>> Manual. When I click on the little icon immediately to the left of the
>> URL box, I get the response "This web site does not supply ownership
>> information."
>>
>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide.pdf appears in the URL
>> box of my Firefox 4.01 browser when I try to download the GnuCash
>> Concepts Guide. When I click on the little icon immediately to the left
>> of the URL box, I get the response "This web site does not supply
>> ownership information."
>>
> Thank you for the additional information. However if I try to download the
> links you give here, I have no problems at all, other than perhaps the
> downloads are slow. The help manual takes well over a minute to download, the
> concepts guide more than 5.
>
>> If you need the information, Ubuntu Linux 11.04 is the operating system
>> I use with my Firefox 4.01 web browser and GnuCash 2.4.2 Build R20253M,
>> dated 14 February 2011.
>>
> I'm still using Firefox 3.6 on Fedora 14. This gives an estimated download
> time in the bottom-right corner of the active window. Doesn't Firefox 4 do
> something similar ?
>
>> I hope this information is helpful to you. I would like to add, in the
>> little bit of time I have been working with GnuCash 2.4.2, I think this
>> program you all have written is nothing short of SUPERB! Please do keep
>> up your OUTSTANDING work!
>>
> I'm glad you like it and welcome in our community !
>
> Geert

Curiously, the original question email has not appeared in my inbox.
Please send your questions to the list as well as your replies.

I am using Firefox on a windows machine connected to the internet in
Illinois, USA via a high speed residential link provided by AT&T
U-verse.  Like Geert, I find that the PDF versions download rather
slowly.  If you like the thoroughness of the online manuals more than
the help files bundled with the program, I suggest that you keep a local
copy on your hard drive.

David L Carlson