fund questions

Mark Smith gnucashorg at awayand.sleepmail.com
Thu May 19 07:57:30 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,
I have used gnucash for a little bit now that I am comfortable with
foreign currencies and the basics. I have also successfully set up
Finance::Quote on my linux installation (but not on Windows, it simply
won't install...). I managed to setup a stock account for stock that I
own and gnucash even pulls the price for me automatically without a
hitch. I used Yahoo Europe (it is a German stock). A couple of
questions:

1. Does the "Fraction Traded" matter in any way? I wouldn't know what to
put there, so I left the default, is that ok?

2. I am trying to add a Fund now, assuming I have to create a "Mutual
Fund" type account. What do I need to do in order for gnucash to pull my
mutual fund prices automatically as it did with my stock? Here's what I
filled in to the "security editor":

Full Name: Aberdeen Global - Technology Fund S2
Symbol: LU0476877211
Type: FUND
ISIN: LU0476877211
Fraction traded: 1/10000
(x) Get online quotes:
Single: Morningstar, SE

I have tried different "providers", but none yield anything. If you
don't know what to fill in here, can you help me troubleshoot how to
find the right provider?

3. What is the best way to use as a layout for funds? Make a placeholder
of type "Asset" and put the various mutual fund type accounts below? Is
that "clean"? If my placeholder is of type "mutual fund" then I cannot
select my currency so that's why I would choose "Asset".

Thanks!