Parallel system

GOODSYSTEMS goodsystems at gs11011.com
Tue Nov 1 01:36:13 EDT 2011

Geert: Thanks for the response. I should learn not to attempt anything when
tired. Truth is pretty cruel here -- I actually found the file and simply did
not recognize what I had. When I opened it for the first time in the new
install, it showed me the set of high-level accounts and I was a doubleclick
away from my expenses register. As my partner more than occasionally reminds me,
it's a bad thing to awful-ize an otherwise simple situation just for a lack of
recognition. None the less I appreciate the response, which did help me
understand that things were simpler than I tried to imagine, and apologize for
the whole thing.

As you can tell from the prior comment, it's all good. Data is fine, easily
available. GC was way ahead of me. Not a chance I'm headed for anything close to
the cloud in the next several years... I'm just a few miles short of trusting my
data, decidedly non-sensitive though it is, to anywhere off my own local
facilities, not even to the NAS, and anyone that pretends Comcast is a
predictable partner probably needs more meds.

I know the general tech wisdom on Vista is rather uncomplimentary, but I must
say for something that cost me nothing Vista Business does serve me pretty well.
I don't do much any more (4+ decades on the road as a
programmer/analyst/consultant/contractor was enough). The part of it that might
matter is that I can run the Aero interface, which does tell me a bit about how
things look on many newer machines when I work up something in .net. Truth be
told most of what I do -- not all, I occasionally do run across a desperate
customer -- is simply to entertain myself by pretending I still got coding chops.

BTW, the old Dell 4550 I'm running was a $25 claimer from CraigsList, to which I
did add a stronger p/s, a video card, RAM, extra drive space and a TV card. It's
been running in dual-boot configuration now for a bit over four years (not sure
what service it had prior) without a whimper. Call me lucky, but if the blue
smoke escapes I suspect I'd be up for something a bit more modern.

Thanks again for the excellent assistance.

J Howard Carmichael