how to find when an invoice is paid, and to which account

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 1 03:50:21 EDT 2011

On dinsdag 1 november 2011, Yu Liansu wrote:
> On 2011年10月31日 16:07, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > There is presently no easy way to determine which payment belongs to
> > which invoice.
>
> Thanks. With the Customer Report I can see there are invoices that were
> paid twice and the invoices that were never paid but marked as paid,
> luckily I am allowed to enter payment dialogue with that paid invoice.
>

> For the invoice #61 marked paid but not paid, can I correct this way: I
> ask customer to pay (today, just did it), and when he really paid (he
> said he would), process payment the usual way.
>
> For the invoice #19 that were paid twice, can I fix it this way? I go to
> view lots of A/R and check #19, see it was paid on Dec 4th, thus the
> other payment transaction on A/R on Dec 24 must be the duplicate, which
> I deleted today.

It depends which payment GnuCash thinks is actually for invoice #19. If you
delete the one GnuCash believes is for invoice #19, your invoice #19 will be
marked as unpaid and invoice #61 will still be marked as paid.

Considering the dates of the payment transactions, your actions will likely
solve it indeed.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can remove the TWO payment transactions
for that invoice and enter one again. That way you are sure you have one
payment associated with the invoice and the other payment is gone.

Best regards,

Geert