How to transfer gnucash data and accounts tree from gnucash running on windows to gnucash running on linux?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Nov 2 07:40:58 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 02 Nov 2011 11:28:35 Frederic Monestel wrote:
> Sorry for maybe asking a rather trivial question again, but:
> I would like to make sure which files need to be copied (and where) in
> order to transfer my data and account tree on my new computer?
> Thanks again for your precious help!

Hi,

You need to copy your accounts file - it is just one single file for the tree
and transaction data, and 2.4.x will read a 2.2.x file just fine.

Sounds to me like you don't know where that file is stored, so if you open GC
on the old machine, and do a Save As.. (perhaps to a thumb drive?), move that
newly saved file to the new box, (put it somewhere sensible) open GC and
File->Open that file.  GC will re-open the last used file, so next time, your
data should auto-load.

Preferences and any saved reports are probably best done by starting anew on
the new installation of GC.

HTH,
Maf.