Is GNUCASH, in fact, unsafe....

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Nov 10 07:34:58 EST 2011

>Avast used to complain about ,,,,,,

Our virus checkers will either fail to detect some viruses or give us
some false positives or both. This isn't because they aren't good enough
but because it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a program that can check the code
of any other program (a "universal checker") to determine the runtime
behavior of that code and be 100% correct in doing that. The behavior in
this case being "acts like a virus" but in the original statement of
what is known as the fundamental theorem of computation it was "loops".
You prove it in the same way.

Assume that there was such a universal checker. You can think of it as a
function V(p) that returns 1 if p will act like a virus and 0 if p will
not act like a virus. Then construct the simple program P
   If V(p) then halt
     else "act like a virus"

What is the result of trying to check P? In other words, what is the
result of  V(P)

See? This supposedly always correct virus checker gets P wrong.  So it
can't exist.

Michael

PS: While almost any Computer Science person knows this theorem (and who
first proved it) do not feel bad because you didn't. In the large shop
where I worked for three decades I bet less than 2% of my co-workers
did. Information Technology people are not the same as Computer Science
people and besides, most of us had undergraduate degrees unrelated to
either. Mine was Physics.