Is GNUCASH, in fact, unsafe....

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 13:07:52 EST 2011

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
To: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
Cc: Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>; "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>; "danchurch at aol.com" <danchurch at aol.com>; Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: Is GNUCASH, in fact, unsafe....

At Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:27:09 -0800 (PST) "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Geert--
>
> Thanks for the updates on several points here.
>
> My reason for raising each of these here is to help the OP track down why his scanner flags Gnucash as infected.
>

> The PortableApps issue, as I noted, was considered spurious (and therefore not valid), but perhaps this person's copy is from PortableApps, and they are getting this (spurious) virus alert.
>
> I do not use Windows any more, so I have no experience with current
> virus scanners and how they flag items. I believe that many scanners
> look for particular kinds of behavior, and I do not know whether this
> person's scanner has some watch on "network" access, which resulted in
> the alert. The point about the loopback device was not to question its
> "rightness" "wrong-ness" "Windows-ness" or "*nix-ness", but to note to
> the OP that this might be an area to pursue to figure out why his
> scanner reports Gnucash as unsafe.

I don't think the *virus scanners* actually check *behavior*.  They
scan for 'signatures', that is known byte sequences, which are either
code fragments or data fragments.  The problem here is that these tests
are not always definitive and sometime yield false positives. The
loopback device thing relates to MS-Windows firewall software, which
seem to get all huffy about applications making network connections to
the localhost (127.0.0.1), for no partitularly good reason.