Purchase stock - expense vouchers?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Wed Nov 23 10:39:48 EST 2011

My wife and I are partners in a consultancy, and we have a similar issue
where occasionally personal funds might be used for a business purpose, or
vice versa.  We keep separate business and personal books in GnuCash.  When
we happen to use personal funds for a business purpose, the transaction
flows through equity accounts in both sets of books.  An Equity:Business
Contribution entry in the Personal books has a corresponding Equity:Capital
Contribution entry in the Business books.  Conversely, an Equity:Owner's
Draw in the Business books has a corresponding Equity:Business Draw entry in
the personal books.  Keeping a correspondence between these entries is just
a matter of bookkeeping discipline.

So, just for purposes of illustration, let's suppose that we're on a
business trip and tanking up the rental car prior to returning it.
Unfortunately, the gas station doesn't accept our business American Express
plastic, so we use a personal Visa card instead to record the $10 top-up.
The two sides (accounts) of the Personal transaction would be:

Liability:Credit Card:Bank Buckaroo Visa | Equity:Business Contribution

The two sides of the Business transaction:

Equity:Capital Contribution | Expense:Auto:Gas