Trouble With "Enter" vs. "Tab" (Again)

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:11:05 EST 2011

Sorry for answering in the middle of the thread, but I had an idea while
using GC the other day very much related to this issue..
 I tend to go through 6 months of several accounts at a time, instead of
weekly or monthly maintenance. This results in a lot of corrections
requiring edits in many consecutive journal entries.

 I would love to see [Enter] jump down to the next transaction (either
mirroring the last field location or always in the Date field) causing a
"settle splits" action. Let [Tab] move around in the split environment and
*not ever* leave the current transaction. Pressing the [Tab] key at the last
split, last value would result in returning to the date field of the current
transaction.  This would differentiate the two, [Enter] and [Tab] and still
keep the [up], [down], [left], and [right] arrows to provide flexible
keyboard navigation. They should have the ability to navigate out of the
current transaction causing a "settle splits" action just like clicking
outside a transaction does.

This way, you know what [Enter] does, and [Tab] would never surprise you.

I like the idea of Enter also being able to create a new entry as currently
available in preferences.

Sadly, I am unable to contribute code, just user experience.

John Ralls-2 wrote