Regarding Windows and Remote MYSQL server (may be host specific)

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:05:55 EST 2011

I tried using a remote Mysql back end with Windows 7 64.
My web host is HostGator.

It was a great thing to be able to access the same file from more than one
location, once at a time, not mulituser.

It didnt work out though.  I just thought I would report this to discourage
anyone from attempting this as a primary way of using Gnucash.   Weather it
was HostGator's setup, Gnucash or a combination of the two, it just wasn't
reliable. I had constant errors that said "Could not save to the database",
and after that, I could not enter any new transactions.  I would have to
reconnect. This would be most irritating when importing large QIF files or
importing through AQbanking.  I wouldnt know when it stopped recording data
and later when reconciling, would find 3 to 12 entries just got missed.
Client side I could still see some data, but if I clicked on it, it would
vaporize.  I would have to re-start, and re-enter the data. Ick.

 I dont know if Gnucash creates too many connections, (HostGator limits to
5) or if the CPU requirements on the server side are too much and it is
kicking me off.

 Devs or other users, would you recommend a different web host, or a good
way to keep my GC file mobile so I can work from more than one computer? I
suppose a thumb drive would be simple, if I could remember it, or not lose
it,  but require some encryption and more attention to that drive than I am
likely to have.

Thanks!