Saving Images alongside Transactions

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 11:44:49 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:07, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Dylan Nugent wrote:
>
>> Hello GnuCash users,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone was aware of a way to save an image file or
>> other attachment linked to a specific transaction in GnuCash. I could
>> not find any documentation describing a way to do this; I'm
>> specifically interested in saving a scanned image of a receipt
>> alongside my expenditures.
>>

> There's no facility in Gnucash for attachments, so the best you could do would be to insert a URI or filename in the notes field of the transaction or the memo field of one of the splits.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I don't want my gnuCash file getting begger than necessary, and I
don't need this feature in gnuCash.

I'm on Windows Vista.

I scan and save all my paper receipts with filenames such as:

ccyymmdd_hhmm_BankName_Stmt_Due_ccyymmdd_Amt.pdf
or
ccyymmdd_hhmm_FastFoodStore_Lunch_Amt.jpg
or
ccyymmdd_hhmm_SupermarketName_Amt.jpg
or
ccyymmdd_hhmm_DrDentistNameDDS_Amt.pdf
etc

Then, using Windows Search (Win+F), I search on date and bank or store
or supermarket or DentistName, i.e.

20110927 DrFirstnameLastNameDDS
or
20110813 BankName

and Windows Search finds it in about 1-3 seconds.

If I want ALL 2011 dentist receipts, I search (Win+F) on:

2011 DrFirstnameLastNameDDS

and they all are found in a second or three!

Simple!

I've been using computers since 1976, and I find saving files by
date_time in the filename and within the year folder (
C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\2011\ ) is the simplest for me.

Then I just tag each file with a bunch of keywords.

I hope this helps.

--
jcard21