Deleting unwanted 'Books' & related data

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 01:56:58 EDT 2011

Paul--

If you've deleted the files, then they're gone. The listing in the drop down menu doesn't mean the files exist--just that they *did*. You can check this by trying to open one of these "ghost" entries; it should return a "File not found" error.

For what it's worth, the recent files list will behave this way regardless of the application and even operating system. Windows, Mac OS X, Linux all do this. It looks like you might be able to clear these in Gnucash by removing entries from the "books" folder within the Gnucash settings folder (which resides in different locations depending on your operating system). On my OS X machine running 2.4.7, this is in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash; your operating system may vary.

I'll note that I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT EFFECT REMOVING THESE FILES WILL DO. I just see that the file list there corresponds to the recent files list in the GC menu. Personally, I can't imagine how deleting these entries could affect how or whether Gnucash will run, but you never know.

David