Gnucash versions

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 7 10:36:40 EDT 2011

Colin Scott wrote:
> There is one potential benefit of using a SQL store over an XML one
> that they probably won't tell you - you can read the data using tools
> other than gnucash!  This means that you can potentially generate
> reports based on gnucash data without having to resort to the horrors
> of the gnucash reporting system.  (I don't know if anyone is doing
> this yet, because the schema used by gnucash is pretty messy, but the
> potential is there, and I know that some people, myself included, are
> working on it!

I have high hopes for using SQL for doing custom reports, because I know
SQL and have used it (or something like it) for a couple of decades. I
do not have a version of gnucash that supports it at the moment, but I
understand that the data now stored is not in a suitable normalized form
for the user to do custom reports any easier than the older gnucash
formats. So I choose to wait. This is not a complaint. If Red Hat were
to include such a version today, I would not switch over for quite a while.

 ^^-^^ 10:30:01 up 19:03, 4 users, load average: 5.91, 5.32, 5.06