Solution - adding Perl to get online downloads

c-a-l calinatl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:18:01 EDT 2011

I did a google search for this but did not find the answer.  I figured it out
through trail and error so I'm posting this info in case it helps anyone else.

Got a new computer so did a new install of Gnucash 2.4.7.  The help inside the
program indicates you need to download and install Perl in order to activate the
ability to download stock & security price updates, and provides a link to the
Perl website.  On the ActivePerl website, the only free edition you have the
option to download is currently 5.12.xx, so I downloaded that.

Perl wants to install in the c:\perl64 by default.  In order to keep things
organized, I changed this to c:\program files\perl64.  Per the Gnucash help,
after I installed Perl, I went Windows Button - All Programs - Gnucash and
selected "Install online price retrieval," and everything should set itself up
automatically from there.

Did not work for me.  At first I thought it was because the "Install online
price retrieval" includes a note that specifies you must install Perl 5.8 or
5.10.  Neither is still available on the ActivePerl website and a web search did
not turn up either version.

Finally uninstalled Perl from c:\program files\perl64, and let it install in the
default it wants to install, c:\perl64.  After that the "Install online price
retrieval" button works fine.

So:
a) the note at "Install online price retrieval" that you need Perl version 5.8
or 5.10 is not correct.  Version 5.12, currently the one on their website, will
work.
b) you must let Perl install into the default directory it wants to install in
order for the "Install online price retrieval" to work properly.

Hope the above helps someone.