Solution - adding Perl to get online downloads

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Oct 10 08:34:03 EDT 2011

On maandag 10 oktober 2011, c-a-l wrote:
> I did a google search for this but did not find the answer.  I figured it
> out through trail and error so I'm posting this info in case it helps
> anyone else.
>
> Got a new computer so did a new install of Gnucash 2.4.7.  The help inside
> the program indicates you need to download and install Perl in order to
> activate the ability to download stock & security price updates, and
> provides a link to the Perl website.  On the ActivePerl website, the only
> free edition you have the option to download is currently 5.12.xx, so I
> downloaded that.
>
> Perl wants to install in the c:\perl64 by default.  In order to keep things
> organized, I changed this to c:\program files\perl64.  Per the Gnucash
> help, after I installed Perl, I went Windows Button - All Programs -
> Gnucash and selected "Install online price retrieval," and everything
> should set itself up automatically from there.
>
> Did not work for me.  At first I thought it was because the "Install online
> price retrieval" includes a note that specifies you must install Perl 5.8
> or 5.10.  Neither is still available on the ActivePerl website and a web
> search did not turn up either version.
>
> Finally uninstalled Perl from c:\program files\perl64, and let it install
> in the default it wants to install, c:\perl64.  After that the "Install
> online price retrieval" button works fine.
>
> So:
> a) the note at "Install online price retrieval" that you need Perl version
> 5.8 or 5.10 is not correct.  Version 5.12, currently the one on their
> website, will work.
> b) you must let Perl install into the default directory it wants to install
> in order for the "Install online price retrieval" to work properly.
>
> Hope the above helps someone.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know Active Perl older than 5.12 is no
longer available for download. So probably the GnuCash installer should be
updated for this information. Can you file a bug report for this in Bugzilla
please ?

About the custom installation directory: did you choose the directory c:
\program files\perl64 during installation ? Or did you manually move perl from
c:\perl64 to c:\program files\perl64 ?

Geert