Automatic VAT assignment or similar, like in kMymoney?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Oct 20 10:09:34 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have searched the documentation, read manuals and even purchased the
Packt-book, but I fail to find a more automated way to deal with VAT,
outgoing and incoming.

* All my invoices should have a VAT-part automatically. This seems to
work fine in the business-section. *No problems here*.
* All records in certain accounts should be split automatically and
contain a part that goes to VAT.

I would like to migrate from Kmymoney where this is a feature; I don't
need that exact feature, but I do need a solution for the following:

When importing mt94/csv/etc from my bank, OR when manually adding
certain expenses, I want to avoid having to:

- manually calculate 19% or 6% (Dutch VAT) from the total price. EUR100
would split up as 100 = 19 + 81, but when dealing with prices such as
12,87 taking out my calulator for each and every transaction is way too
cumbersome.
- manually adding the VAT split record. It takes me quite some
keystrokes, even for such a simple record.
- manually adjusting the deposit amount to "vat minus total".

I did read up on the examples about split accounts that cover VAT/GST,
but they do not mention atomatic assignment.

Here is the workflow on kmymoney:
* I pay for many things (train-tickets, fuel, office-supplies,
raw-materials, etc.), adding up to about 200 transactions per month. I
can import these from my bank, trough a mt940 file.
* On import, it either:
- recognises transactions from previous transactions (suppier-name,
amounts etc) and get an account assigned, OR
- gets markt as unrecognised, so that I can manually edit them;
* Once a VAT-enabled account gets assigned, either by me, or by the
import, the VAT rule is triggered and:
- transaction is split, leaving the total amount in tact, but taking a
certain percentage, assigning that to the appropriate VAT account.

For example, my phonebill will be:
- assigned to Expenses:Phone, which I marked as "Autoassign 19% VAT".
- split into three transactions: from:bankacct EUR60; to:phone 48,60;
to:VAT-payed 11,40;
I don't need to calculate 11,40 and 48,60, nor to I have to enter these
split transactions.

Hope you can help

Bèr Kessels - New on this list. Hi!