can't open gnucash file

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 23 18:29:50 EDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 1:13 PM, suk wah bernstein wrote:

> okay i have restored the data file to the point of last month's recon. so just minimal loss. no big deal. i think what happened was i didn't save after entering transactions in the bank statement that are not yet in the account register, as well as trashing the relevant log and lck, lnk files.
>
> just to double reconfirm. the save icon is in grey and that means all data in this account is saved, right? the save icon for  the account list is in grey. that means all data in all accounts in this list are saved until i open up an account and enter another transaction, right?
>
> also i have set 45 days for log files to stay in finder. is that recommendable?
>
> i'm sorry if i sound repetitive. i did look through doc and faq. the entry on backing up gc environment doesn't quite speak to my - paranoic, if i may say so myself - concern. thanks so much.

If the save icon is greyed out, that does mean that the data for the current file is saved, and you can have only one file open at a time. As soon as you edit something, even if you change it back, Gnucash will turn on the save icon; if you try to exit with unsaved data, Gnucash will put up a dialog box offering you the chance to save your data before quitting.

Since you only post once a month, you might consider keeping logs longer, perhaps 100 days, so that you always have more than one backup and transsaction log.

Regards,
John Ralls