Help with situation

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 22:48:29 EDT 2011

I have been using Gnucash for several years now, but have not had need to use any currency features before, and I am looking for the simplest way through my current situation. Basically, I was given the opportunity to buy stocks for a company I worked for here in the US (at a discount). The company deducted US dollars from my paycheck, and then awarded me 75 shares of stock.

When I got my transaction report from the company, I found out that the stocks were handled through the parent company (a German company) and valued in Euros. Since I was only holding onto the stock for long term purposes, I put off trying to figure out how to handle this in Gnucash.

Then, I left the company, and didn't notice the part where they told me they were going to seel my stocks unless I told them not to--and they sold my stock and deposited the proceeds back in my checking account (in US Dollars again).

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there a compelling (e.g., legal) reason for me to document my short-lived stock holding in multiple currencies, or can I make the accounting work without adding the currency complication?

2) And, if I can do this without multiple currencies, what steps do I need to take to at least make the bookkeeping mostly work out?

TIA,
David