getting rid of accounts

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 30 04:00:33 EDT 2011

On 10/29/2011 5:23 PM, James Kerr wrote:
> On 29/10/2011 21:06, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 29, 2011, at 10:50 AM, fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> Tried deleting the file you specified.
>>>
>>> Doing so had no effect on the list of accounts under 'file'. They
>>> are still there.
>>>
>>> Must be something else.
>

>>> From: John Ralls<jralls at ceridwen.us>

>>> The list in the file menu is of recently accessed files. Deleting
>>> the file has no effect on it.
>>>
>>> The list is stored in ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash/history/%gconf.xml. You
>>> could probably delete that with no ill effects -- but to be safe,
>>> rename it instead, so that if Gnucash complains you can put it
>>> back.
>>>

>> I dunno. It certainly worked for me. (I also found it useful to
>> "touch" the file after deleting it so that Gnucash would show the
>> "new user" dialog.)
>>

> What worked for me (on Windows 7) was, after deleting the history file,
> I re-launched Gnucash by clicking on a data file (or using the
> right-click Open dialogue if necessary).
>
> Re-launching Gnucash through a menu entry seemed to result in the
> history file being re-created as it was before.
>
> Jim

My observation as a user is that even if the actual data files are
deleted or moved, they continue to appear in the recently opened list
under File: Open.  I simply did not worry about it, since they did not
actually exist.

If that is an annoyance for you, the history list may be in the local
preferences file that also contains your other user preferences choices
for the program. As a Windows user I do not know how to find it on your
computer.

David