How to clean the recently used file list in GnuCash (was: Re: getting rid of accounts)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Oct 30 05:43:16 EDT 2011

On zaterdag 29 oktober 2011, John Ralls wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2011, at 10:50 AM, fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Tried deleting the file you specified.
> >
> > Doing so had no effect on the list of accounts under 'file'. They are
> > still there.
> >
> > Must be something else.

Note that I changed the subject to clarify the actual topic of this thread.

The list of recently used files is stored in gconf, which is a database to
store settings, part of the Gnome desktop. John points at the proper file that
contains the entries, but simply removing that file is not how it should be
cleaned on linux. This may work on Windows and OS X because gconfd is
generally not running on those systems, unless GnuCash is started.

On linux gconfd is running as soon as you log into the system (a slight
simplification, but good enough for the issue at hand here).

If you remove that file while gconfd is running, gconfd will rewrite it when
it closes, because the actual information is kept in memory.

Instead, to clean all the recently used file entries, issue this command from
the command line:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/gnucash/history

Geert