getting rid of accounts

fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 12:49:55 EDT 2011

It was serious for me since I backup all of my financial records to separate partitions on two separate hard disks which are separate from the hard disk where the current records are kept (that is 3 separate hard disks). In addition, I regularly backup critical financial information to 2 separate flash drives, one of which I carry with me all the time. That is 5 backups total.

In playing around I also needed to reconstruct an old bank account and find a discrepancy between me and another bank.

So in doing all of this I opened 1 or 2 of the backup gnucash files on the hard disks. In doing so, gnucash lists those accounts with the same name as the current account since they are backup copies as the current account and have the same name. Thus, I ended up with 3 or 4 gnucash accounts with the same name. At first this was no problem since the differences were obvious to me. But as I reconstructed the old account and corrected the discrepancy, the current account became very different from the old backup accounts and it was getting very confusing switching between 3 or 4 accounts all with the same name.

By getting rid of ALL of the accounts and starting as a new beginner, I could open the current account (which was now fixed and up to date) and it was the only account that I need be concerned about.

So, by moving the file from the directory, I got gnucash to start as a new beginner, the extraneous, confusing accounts with the same name were gone and the problem was solved.

The same problem could arise for others that need to open backup copies of the current account file for reference or other needs and they also will end up with more than 1 account with the same name.

Just my experience in this.

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

A thought often repeated becomes an act, an act often
repeated becomes a habit, a habit often repeated,
a character and a settled character molds the very
destiny of man.

Man is the master of his own destiny.

"The Voice of Babaji", Page 236
What man thinks, that he becomes