documentation

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Sep 5 04:03:17 EDT 2011

On Monday 05 Sep 2011 08:43:16 Maf. King wrote:
> On Monday 05 Sep 2011 08:30:47 George OLson wrote:
> > I am running gnucash 2.4 on KDE 4.7 and openSUSE 11.4. I have tried to
> > open the help menu in gnucash, but I always get the error:
> >
> > "GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation.  This is
> > likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not installed."
> >
> > I have doublechecked with Yast and verified that I did in fact install
> > gnucash-docs. Can someone tell me how to get the help menu to open the
> > documentation for gnucash?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > George
>
> Hi George,
>
> Fo some reason SuSE seems always to have bugs relating to the GC docs.
> Thought that it had been fixed years ago, I'll have to search the list
> archives for the solution presented a few years ago (openSuSE 10.0?)
>
> in the meantime, try the following command in a terminal window:
>
> yelp /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-guide.xml
>
> (you may have to use YaST to install the yelp package - I did)
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Hi George,

Update - found this old thread.

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-February/019468.html

which I have just tested on my openSuSE 11.4 box,  replacing the symlink
/usr/bin/gnome-help -> susehelp
with
/usr/bin/gnome-help  -> /usr/bin/yelp

allows GC Help -> Contents to show as expected.

I gave full, step-by step instructions are in the above thread, about 3 posts
in, the only diference seems to be that gnome-help has moved from /opt/ to
/usr/

HTH,
Maf.