GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file

George Cummings microservices at att.net
Sun Sep 11 11:25:04 EDT 2011

I am having issues with GNUCash.  When I open the program I get this
message: "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file"  And I pass through
this message (even though the program suggests I don't).  The result is the
RECONCILE function opens but will not allow any data entry on the
RECONCILIATION INFORMATION window.  Also, I cannot run the file repair
functions.  Are my file toast?  If so, can I export the data and import into
a new file system?  Please help . . . I really like this program.