book options, A/P use

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 19 10:42:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

Stephanie Jordan <customeyessji at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]
> The hover says something about a /printf-style format string /that I
> have not yet googled. Also, the context menu includes Input Methods
> (which seems to mean language options) and Insert Unicode Control
> Character.

This lets you adjust the format of the invoice number, so instead of
getting numbers like 000001, 000002, etc. you can make it something like
2011-0001, 2011-0002, etc.  (although it wont reset to -0001 later on,
so you'd get 2012-0123 when you change years).

> And, to disguise an accounting question as a "how-to-use" question:
> Am I supposed to use A/Payable to enter every business purchase I
> make? Even if I make payment at the time of purchase?  I think that in
> previous bookkeeping attempts I was trying to enter my purchases
> directly into their expense accounts (categories) because I thought it
> was not a "payable" since I had already paid for it.

No, if you pay for it directly then just create a direct transaction.
A/P is really only for actual payables.