downloading issue

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 22 10:21:40 EDT 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 7:34 PM, suk wah bernstein wrote:

> this is in response to your question that there's something i'm not telling you regarding to how i download. so i go all the way to beginning to see if there's anything i didn't do right.
>
> there's an email that preceded the one below that somehow didn't go out. sorry for the confusion. here it is. it picks up from where the 2.4.7 disk is already in app folder.
>
> click on gnucash. menu bar opens. tip of day opens. i close it. select import. select qif. qif import window opens. click forward. select qif window opens. click 'all files' bottom right. click select. finder window opens. select quicken data file. go back to 'select qif' window.' click select. name of quicken data file appears in blank box next to 'select.' click 'forward'. blank browser window opens with the url part in black, part in grey.
>
> also tried dragging icon into app folder and open from there. same result.
>
> the rest of doc too technical for me. sorry.
>
> thanks for all of your patience.

Colin is right: Gnucash can't read your Quicken data file directly. You must use Quicken to export it as a QIF (Quicken Interchange File). Gnucash can read that.

 The URL part in black, part in grey is a new feature of Firefox 6 and perhaps Chrome: It's meant to make it more obvious what domain is providing the website, in case the website is trying to trick you into thinking it's somewhere else... like your bank. That doesn't have anything to do with Gnucash. When the browser window comes up, are all of the Gnucash windows gone or do you get the beach ball when you mouse over one of them if they're not? Possibly what's happening is that Gnucash is crashing and the browser was the last thing that you were doing before starting Gnucash, so up it pops.

Regards,
John Ralls