Hello everyone, and a question on entering transactions

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:33:09 EDT 2011

Hi Ron,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Ron Hudson <hudson.ra at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Is this the right place to get questions answered?

Yes! :-)

> [...]
> cases, while the transaction is being entered
> a record in the "Unbalanced" account is created, between when a debit
> and a balancing credit is being entered.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this? Should I avoid it? ( I end up with
> unbalanced balance of 0.00 )

I recommend reading
http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/txns-registers1.html#txns-registers-multiaccount2to
understand the basics of entering split transactions but before that,
just want to say that in practice, you will end up using the Tab key a lot
to move among the accounts and amounts in the transaction while you're
entering it. As Derek said, the transaction isn't `recorded' until you hit
Enter, so until you do, you're free to move around and change anything. So
you'll usually be Tabbing forward field by field, or doing Shift-Tab to move
backwards, until you're satisfied with the entry.

Hope this helps,

Yawar