Hello everyone, and a question on entering transactions

Stein Erik Berget gnucash at berget.org
Wed Sep 28 02:00:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:15:47 +0200, Ron Hudson <hudson.ra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Ron, and I am studying double entry bookkeeping with an eye
> to starting a book keeping practice.
> I am thinking of using GnuCash in this practice instead of quickbooks.

Good choice ;-)

<snip />

> May I start with my first question:

We all have to start somewhere! So why not with the beginning?

> I am currently in the point of my studies where I am entering
> transactions into the general ledger accounts.
>
> I have tried two ways in GnuCash,  1s by adding entries to the
> accounts from the Accounts page.  2nd by
> adding each transaction in the General Ledger under Tools. In Both
> cases, while the transaction is being entered
> a record in the "Unbalanced" account is created, between when a debit
> and a balancing credit is being entered.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this? Should I avoid it? ( I end up with
> unbalanced balance of 0.00 )

I also used to end up with these, but when you have 'resolved' all your
accounts, and this is 0.00 you can just delete that line. To delete it you
select the line, right click (or the appropriate Mac short cut), and hit
'delete transaction', yes I know, sounds scary, but only deletes that
line. If you have selected the 'top line' of a transaction, everything is
deleted.

> Of course I have read some of the documentation, looking for the
> proper procedure for entering a transaction,
> but I have not found my answer that way yet.

<snip />

Good luck with your studies, and please come back with more questions, it
helps us learn as well. And maybe we get lucky and get an answer to
something we have not dared ask ;-) "You never stop learning as long as
you have students" as my late mother said.

--
Stein Erik Berget