multiple display of the same transaction

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 01:12:42 EDT 2012

On 4/1/2012 10:06 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> When a transaction that has more than one split for the
> same account is viewed in that account's register, one
> sees the transaction displayed multiple times.
>
> Three cases I've encountered when this may happen (I'm
> sure there are more):
> * The recommended way of selling stock has one enter
>   the stock account in two splits in the same transaction.
> * To change the basis cost of a stock, such as in a spinoff
>   transaction, it is convenient to sell it and buy it back
>   at a different price in two splits in one transaction.
> * When consolidating multiple previous transactions into
>   one: eg, a "receipts" account for incoming checks.
>   When they are deposited, it is convenient to structure
>   the deposit transaction as a split, one for each of
>   the checks.
>
> I find seeing multiple representations of the same
> transaction distracting, wasteful of space, and when
> one is not awake, dangerously confusing (in that it is
> possible to think they are two separate but duplicate
> transactions and delete one of them, with the effect
> of deleting the one-and-only transaction.)
>
> Would there be any way, when this case occurs, of
> displaying the transaction only once in the register?
> One would want the displayed value of the consolidated
> transaction to be the sum of the split values, so I
> guess so you can't just pick one of the multiple views
> to display and hide the rest.
>
> I am just wondering if doing something like this would
> be a reasonable enhancement request (perhaps it already
> is?), or if there is some architecture issue that makes
> this impractical.

If you choose the Auto-Split Ledger View for that account you will see
the entire transaction with all the splits when you click on a
transaction. I have chosen that option as the default view for my files.

You could go to
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request and search
for "Use a separate window for transaction edits".

Vote for that feature.

You could also enter your own suggestion there.

David C