Account Codes

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:59:14 EDT 2012

Hello,

On 2012-04-11, at 08:35, Colin Scott wrote:

> […]
>
> I'm not quite sure what the problem might be with this system unless you would like GnuCash to insist that the account code is always unique.  If you want that then I suggest that you propose it as a configurable option ('cos lots of people *won't* want it! :-)  through the proper channels ...

I’m quite surprised that GnuCash doesn’t force the account codes to be unique … that kind of defeats the purpose. Still, GnuCash does internally have a unique, 16-digit ID for every account, which can be seen by browsing the GnuCash XML data file. It may well be possible (but not very practical) to show these 16-digit IDs in reports, but I don’t think anyone’s done it yet. For that matter, I don’t think any reports show account codes either, even if we use them.

Regards,

Yawar