Account Codes

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Thu Apr 12 10:57:00 EDT 2012

> I_m quite surprised that GnuCash doesn_t force the account codes to
> be unique _ that kind of defeats the purpose.

As I've said before, if you want a "unique_account_code", there is already one there should you choose to use it.  The separate "account_code" field we are given is available for you to use (or not) as you choose.  Different users have different needs!  :-)

My use for the account_code field is as a shorthand for my frequently used account names when entering transactions.  However, I only have a sparse list of such codes - I simply couldn't remember a full list, and for the remaining accounts I simply pick them from the list.  If uniqueness were enforced then blank codes would be considered duplicates and thus outlawed, and being obliged to use a full list would completely undermine its usefulness for me!

That said, I do understand that others, like yourself, may need a fully unique list of account codes, and there is a good case to made for a configurable option to enforce uniqueness on the account codes list - but *ONLY* as a configurable option!!!  :-)

You can make this, and other proposals, at http://gnucash.uservoice.com - and if the proposal gets enough votes it may even be implemented one day!  Whatever happens, though, you will have to resign yourself to a lengthy wait.  I would guess that any feature suggested now is unlikely to be implemented within the next year or so.  If the feature is absolutely essential to you then Gnucash is probably not for you!

> For that matter, I don_t think any reports show account codes
> either, even if we use them.

Most of the reports I have seen have an option to show the account code.

Colin