Account Codes

Shokster ashok.sinha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:11:56 EDT 2012

Thanks for your reply Colin. I'm starting to get a sense of the use of
'Account Code' now. I do see how it's a quick-pick tool for filling in
transactions, and not as much a solution to what I'm looking for.

I'm going to look into the "unique_account_code" and see if I can query it
somehow and print it onto a report. Perhaps I will read up scm coding and
see if that can work.

I really do need a "unique_account_code" that I can match with papers filed
in the drawer. Currently, by my paper based bookkeeping, I use a code that
is composed of something like [Cabinet#_Drawer#_PositionBetween1&100#]

I'm trying to port my paperbased bookkeeping system onto GNUCash and was
hoping that there would be an option to input the same indexing scheme.

Also, if I were to continue using the same indexing scheme, each time I make
a new investment, depending on which cabinet and in which drawer the papers
go, and where it stands (between position 1 and 100), a new
"unique_account_code" would be generated.

This will then be the handle for the investment for it's lifetime.