Scheduled transaction issue

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:20:12 EDT 2012

My gnucash data is sitting in postgres on a Linux system. I normally
access it by running gnucash (2.4.10) on the same system. I have a
number of scheduled transactions that are set up to happen near the
end of every month. A number of those transactions got recorded
yesterday, as a result of my running gnucash.

My wife runs Windows 7 on her laptop, and I've installed gnucash
2.4.10 on her machine. I've pointed it at the postgres server on the
Linux machine mentioned above. This setup is new (I had previously
been working with .xml files). She and I were just working on her
machine, looking at some financial matters with gnucash. But when I
started gnucash on her machine, it offered to enter the same scheduled
transactions that had happened yesterday when I ran gnucash on my
Linux box. I declined the offer, of course, and then verified that I
was seeing the transactions that had been entered yesterday on the
Linux system. They were there. This feels like a bug, a serious one.

Thinking about what might cause this incorrect behavior makes me
wonder where the information about what scheduled transactions have
been run is stored. Is it stored in the database itself, as I would
expect, since the fact that the transactions have been entered is a
property of the data, not of a particular user or gnucash instance. Or
is it stored in individual home directories in, say, ~/.gnucash
directories (or whatever the analogous place is in the Windows world)?
If the latter, that would explain this behavior, but there are other
possible explanations, so I'm indulging in speculation here. So I'll
stop and turn this question over to people who actually understand the
code.

/Don