No windows displaying on OSX Lion

William Knechtel bill at endikos.com
Wed Aug 8 11:30:52 EDT 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 10:12 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2012, at 7:35 PM, William Knechtel <bill at endikos.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys.  I'm running OSX Lion, and trying to run GNUCash, but after the initial splash screen with the progress indicator, no windows will open.  I have a menu bar with menus that update depending on what windows *should* be open.  but no actualy windows displaying. Just to make it wierder, I tried this on a different mac, also running Lion, and it works fine. And, to add yet more intrigue, I used to have a functional GNUCash on this Mac.  I thought that something must be conflicting, so I went through the uninstall procedure here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_want_to_remove_GnuCash_from_my_Mac._How_do_I_do_it.3F But still no joy. Any ideas?
>>

> That's cool. Do the invisible windows show up in the Windows menu? If you do a menu action that opens a dialog box (e.g., Tools>Price Editor) does it display?
>
> Do you have any other Gtk apps installed? MacPorts or Fink?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Hello John,  Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!  The invisible windows do in fact show up in the Windows menu, but no menu actions I've tried thus far have actually displayed a window (Like Tools > General Ledger, or manually selecting the windows in the Windows menu, etc.), but the menu bar does change, for example if the program thinks it's on the general ledger, and I click View > New Accounts Page, the menu bar changes to reflect this new context.

I don't *think* I have any other GTK apps, I even went so far as to purge macports from my system completely recently (I wanted to install brew, which complains loudly about macports), and I don't have fink installed.  FWIW, On my other OSX Lion box at work, I also went through the macports purge to install brew, and GNUCash still opens beautifully.   What do you think?

Thanks Much!
Bill