Starting balance off

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 12 03:55:21 EDT 2012

On 12 August 2012 04:46, Fuchs Ira <irafuchs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I reconciled my checking account last month and now when I go to reconcile the account for this month, the starting balance differs from the ending balance of the previous month by $.30. How is this possible? Given this discrepancy, I can no longer reconcile the account unless I enter a fictitious transaction (or change a reconciled transaction) to make it balance, obviously not a good idea.  I double-checked all of the reconciled transactions from the previous month to make sure that nothing had changed after the reconciliation and they are correct. I just don't understand how the starting balance can differ from the previous month's reconciled ending balance.

The usual cause of this is accidental (or intentional but misguided)
editing or deletion of an already reconciled transaction.
Unfortunately it could be any transaction on that account so unless
you can go right back to the start and verify all transactions it can
be virtually impossible to find.  If it really worries you then you
could go back to your last backup an re-enter transactions since then.
 If it were me, since it is such a small amount, I would just enter a
balancing transaction, check (as Dave has suggested)  in Actions >
Reset Warnings that you have all warnings enabled (so that you are
warned if you attempt to edit an already reconciled transaction) and
forget about it.  I suppose if this were a business account that could
be problematic however.

Colin L