Cash Based Reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 14 10:19:31 EDT 2012

newtognucash <newtognucash at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> The business features (Invoicing, etc) work on an accrual basis.  But
>> nothing says you have to use them.  If you don't then you can be
>> completely cash.  If, however, you DO use the invoice features, then
>> yes, you'll need to manually map outstanding invoices to convert from
>> Accrual to Cash, and no, GnuCash does not yet have that functionality.
>
> Thanks Derek. I don't think it should be too hard to write create a
> report in gnucash for it...if you know what you're doing...but
> unfortunately writing reports isn't my forte.  I will be very
> interested to know if someone does anything towards it at any point.
> For now I'm set doing it manually, so that's fine.

Unfortunately GnuCash doesn't really have the concept of a "Period",
only "Date".  This makes it a bit more challenging.

The hard part would be handling partial payment of invoices; figuring
how much of that partial payment goes to which split (tax, etc).  Yes,
it's doable, but the logic isn't as straightforward as it seems.

To date nobody has offered to implement that report.  Patches are, of
course, always welcome.  :)