Subaccount totalling oddity

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Aug 14 14:21:29 EDT 2012

GnuCash 2.4.11 r22268 on WinXP-Pro SP3.

I have a subaccount of "Assets" called "Reimbursable Expenses", with nine
subaccounts of its own, where I put ... well, it should be obvious. Only
two of the subaccounts have nonzero balances, currently at 27.90 and 8.49
(and all txns are in the past); however, the amount shown on the
"Accounts" tab under both "Present" and "Total" is 4.30 (I would expect
36.39). The subaccounts show the expected values in the "Accounts" tab.

Trying to resolve the discrepancy I moved the subaccounts to a new
parent, upon which the offending account shows -32.09. However, the
current balance (shown when opening the account) is zero.

Running "Actions->Check & Repair" makes no difference (AFAICT).

Any suggestions on tracking down the cause?