European date format

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 17 09:52:11 EDT 2012

Hi,

B Anderson <banderson at talktalk.net> writes:

> I am starting to use GnuCash by importing files from my old Quicken
> system.  The date format is d/m/y and this is described in the text as
> typlcal for Europe.  The options I am given to choose between are
> m/d/y and y/d/m, neither being correct.  If I import all my files
> under the wrong format, I expect them to be all corrupted.
> What do I do?  Can anyone help?

Are you sure that the dates in the QIF file are using d/m/y format?
You might want to take a look to see.  If GnuCash is showing you only
m/d/y and y/d/m that means it has ruled out d/m/y as an option, most
likely because it saw a date like 01/20/01 which can be m/d/y or y/d/m
but not d/m/y.

So take a look at your QIF file.  It's a text file, so just open it with
your text editor.  Take a look at some of the date entries (lines
beginning with 'D') and see if you can tell which format it is.

Just because you're in a European locale does not mean Quicken didn't
store the date in US format on disk!