New install in Suse 64bit gone awry

Andrew Greig pushin.linux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 21:34:14 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 11:53 +0100, Maf. King wrote:

> On Mon 13 August 12 21:10:31 Andrew Greig wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A recent mishap with a piece of software on both my Desktop and Notebook
> > computers (both 64 bit Suse 12.1, Gnome desktop) meant I had to rebuild
> > them and now, in each computer I get an error essay, and here it is:
> > Desktop first
>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I have GC 2.4.10 on OpenSuSE 12.1 running just fine.
>
> I did install the packages maintained by  j-engel which are at:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel/openSUSE_12.1/
>
> rather than use the distribution version.
>
> I see that the 2.4.11 GC packages are there now, might upgrade later today...
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Hi Maf, Geert, Tjoen and Derek,

I took the advice re checking out the SuSe forum on applications , and
discovered that they had also experienced my difficulties.  Several
fixes were offered but in the end, the best outcome was a clean upgrade
to the SuSe12.2 RC2.  Where, once again gc flourishes.  This is on my
AMD 64bit Desktop, but the RC2 did not work on the Notebook because the
display drivers were absent.  I will just wait for the stable 12.2
release before trying again on that machine. I did try updating
individual packages but ended up in dependency hell over libofx among
others.

All of that said, the original SuSe 12.1 release had gc working
perfectly until a software update wrecked it, recently.  And all of this
trouble because I did not thoroughly test the camera program on one
machine before deploying it on both.  Lots of lessons learned here,
thank you all for your assistance and patience.

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia