Weird behaviour with trading accounts?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Aug 24 01:46:14 EDT 2012

--On August 23, 2012 10:44:45 PM +0200 Mark <msalists at gmx.net> wrote:

> during my tests, the imbalance account is created automatically if I
> don't make sure that I set the correct account in there right away.
> Plus, later on, I will be downloading transactions through online
> banking and then they all end up in the imbalance account
> automatically before I ever get to touch them.
> So even if I skip it now in the trial, I would have to deal with them
> later on in "real live".

I haven't downloaded transactions from any banks recently, but the last
time I did it certainly didn't create unbalanced transactions.  If I
ever get splits in imbalance accounts then I figure I've done something
wrong.

> I have not been able to get your result, but maybe David had a point
> regarding using ENTER vs TAB, but I tried all kinds of things and
> always end up with the same outcome.
>
> Also, how do you get the distinction between amount and value? I only
> have one column. Or do you mean "balance" when you say "value".

It's hard to see that in the current register.  The new register (which
is still in development) shows both of these, when it doesn't crash
first.  I actually cheated and looked at the XML file with a text
editor to make sure the transaction was correct.

> Lastly - do you create the currency exchange price beforehand in the
> price editor, or only through the popup?

I let it prompt me and entered the rate there, but I don't think it
matters.

          Mike