Credit card/overdraft credit limit & available funds?

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Sun Aug 26 10:07:44 EDT 2012

It seems to me that you're attempting to use a credit card as an asset account, when it's really a liability account.  Just because you have X amount of available credit doesn't mean you can call that X amount of additional assets.

On the other hand, tracking how much credit remains available is a GoodThing.  Unfortunately, I don't believe GnuCash has a "tracking" account type that can act in the way you want it--doesn't count as as an expense, liability, or asset, and doesn't affect the balancing of register entries.

Doing the math manually, and writing the current available credit in the notes field seems like the only way to do this within GnuCash right now.  Otherwise, keeping a simple spreadsheet to track these things is the way to go.  A developer might be able to fairly easily add a "credit limit" item to liability accounts, that gets separately modified on each transaction for that account.

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training, Consulting, & Service
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com