Explicitly confirmed file save when using sqlite file format

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Aug 26 19:00:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, August 26, 2012 2:49 pm, Mark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using sqlite format files for a few tests and noticed that
> GnuCash does not ask me whether or not I want to save changes when I
> close the program.
> Also, the periodic auto-save question does not pop up either. All
> changes seem to be stored right away.
> I thought the reason for this was some setting in my installation, but
> when I used an XML file for another test, the question "do you want to
> save" popped up again when I closed the program.

This change is exactly the reason to use SQL -- for immediate commits of
data changes!

> Is there a way make GnuCash bahave the same way when using sqlite as
> when using XML files? Meaning to not save all changes right away when
> working with sqlite, so in case I mess up something, I can just close
> without saving and reopen the file?
> Or do I need to make a backup of my file before I start working on it?

What's the point of using SQL if you don't want immediate commits?  You
might as well just use XML files.  Seriously, the only benefit is
immediate data saves.  It's not any faster.  Maybe some people consider
the data easier to get to, but you could just export to SQL when you want
that (if the internal reports really aren't good enough, but if that's the
case why not improve the reports?)  But no, this change is considered a
feature.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745