Credit card/overdraft credit limit & available funds?

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Mon Aug 27 03:58:04 EDT 2012

On 27/08/12 15:27, Dean Gibson wrote:

> On 2012-08-26 21:30, prl wrote:
>> I can't see how I'm asking for anything that is incompatible with
>> double-entry accounting.
>
> I think his point is, that there are a lot of features that, while
> perhaps useful, are not really part of traditional accounting, and
> there are perhaps higher development priorities.  A lot people seem to
> want GnuCash to be a "personal finance manager", and it's not really
> that.

I don't disagree about the priorities. But that's not how a number of
posts appear to have been objecting to my suggestion. The replies to my
post seem to be about equally divided between "that's not double-entry
accounting" and "that sounds useful".

As for GnuCash not being a "personal finance manager", I know that. I
already use a spreadsheet for my budgeting/forecasting, because GnuCash
appears to be harder to use for what I want in that area than a DIY
spreadsheet.

But anyway, I'd have thought (and have posted a couple of times) that
this feature might also be useful for (personal or business) accounts
with an overdraft facility.

I'll think about the suggestions for achieving what I want using extra
accounts, but I may stay with the occasional bit of mental arithmetic
when I want to check the credit available on my cards.