Credit card/overdraft credit limit & available funds?

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Mon Aug 27 01:27:46 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-26 21:30, prl wrote:
> I can't see how I'm asking for anything that is incompatible with
> double-entry accounting.

I think his point is, that there are a lot of features that, while
perhaps useful, are not really part of traditional accounting, and there
are perhaps higher development priorities.  A lot people seem to want
GnuCash to be a "personal finance manager", and it's not really that.

However, there is a kludgy way to accomplish what you want.  Let's say
you have a CC sub-account named "VISA xxx" under the "Credit Cards"
account, with a credit limit of (say) $5000:

 1. Create a new liability account named "VISA xxx balance" under the
    "Credit Cards" account.
 2. Create a new liability account named "VISA xxx credit available"
    under the "VISA xxx balance" account.
 3. Move the "VISA xxx" account to be under the "VISA xxx credit
    available" account.  You will continue to post credit card
    transactions to this account.
 4. Create a single transaction with a credit of $5000 in the "VISA xxx
    balance" and a debit of $5000 in the "VISA xxx credit available"
    account.
 5. The "accounts" tab should show then show the credit available in the
    "VISA xxx credit available" account.

David Gillam has a similar proposal.  The point is, that you still want
your accounts to balance, so you have to create one or two extra
accounts to make everything balance.