Credit card/overdraft credit limit & available funds?

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Mon Aug 27 01:07:36 EDT 2012

I've thought of a potential (unconventional) way of doing this within GnuCash.

Create you new credit card account with an opening balance of NEGATIVE whatever your credit limit is.  If your credit limit is $10,000 on that card, set the opening balance to $-10,000.  Then as you charge things, the negative balance becomes smaller (closer to zero), and as you make payments, it becomes larger (further from zero).

If you use this method, you'll get your desired display of remaining available credit, but it will probably cause your balance sheet to show less liability than you have in reality.  In turn, this will make it look like you have more available assets than you really do.

To overcome this imbalance, I believe you can create an expense account to hold the offsetting values of the credit card limits (positive values to offset the negative values mentioned above).

Cheers,

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training, Consulting, & Service
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com