Minor PostgreSQL issues

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Mon Aug 27 14:27:25 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-27 10:29, David T. wrote:
> Dean:
>
> Have a look at: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#SQL_Database

I'd seen that before, but thanks for the link.

> I'll point you especially to:
>
> "...  Because of these limitations, we insist that you
> /*must not write to the GnuCash database except through the GnuCash
> libraries.*/"
>
> David

Writing to the files of ANY complex data structures, without a complete
understanding of the interactions involved, is almost always a bad idea.

Reading, on the other hand ...

For several years I have been unhappy with the limitations (including
the proprietary nature) of QuickBooks and Quicken.  Having previously
written software (in COBOL) for a simple General Ledger system in 1980,
I was considering doing one again, using SQL and Java.  Of course, one
big task would be the retrieval of banking data (a la aqbanking).  Then
I found GnuCash, which has allowed me to move my accounting data (of
over ten years) to a very usable program with an open interface to my data.

Still, I would like a more extensible interface to my data via SQL.
However, I'm retired from over forty years of software development, and
I'd like to spend most of the remainder of my time not sitting at the
computer (a sympathy I'm sure is shared by many).  Perhaps this coming
winter I will take another look at this, especially if I get a handle on
what aqbanking is doing.

-- Dean