Minor PostgreSQL issues

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Mon Aug 27 16:41:05 EDT 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:27:25 -0700
Dean Gibson <gnucash at ultimeth.com> wrote:

> On 2012-08-27 10:29, David T. wrote:
> > Dean:
> >
> > Have a look at: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#SQL_Database
>
> I'd seen that before, but thanks for the link.
>
> > I'll point you especially to:
> >
> > "...  Because of these limitations, we insist that you
> > /*must not write to the GnuCash database except through the GnuCash
> > libraries.*/"
> >
> > David
>
> Writing to the files of ANY complex data structures, without a complete
> understanding of the interactions involved, is almost always a bad idea.
>
> Reading, on the other hand ...
>
> For several years I have been unhappy with the limitations (including
> the proprietary nature) of QuickBooks and Quicken.  Having previously
> written software (in COBOL) for a simple General Ledger system in 1980,
> I was considering doing one again, using SQL and Java.  Of course, one
> big task would be the retrieval of banking data (a la aqbanking).  Then
> I found GnuCash, which has allowed me to move my accounting data (of
> over ten years) to a very usable program with an open interface to my data.

Hi Dean,
since some years I use gnucash with the database backend and us postgresql as the database. For various reasons I do all me 'reporting' with a self-written ruby on rails application accessing the gnucash database (read only). For my reporting I need some additional information I store in a separate table within the schema. The table is populated via command line interface. So, the split of task - entering the transactions via gnucash and doing reporting sql-based - is good enough for me.

Best regards,
Klaus